Sunday, December 6, 2009

Beans and Rice


My latest "must have meal" (almost every day) is, of all formerly dreaded things, beans and rice. As movies like "Food, Inc." have exposed the corruption of our national food industry, animal products have largely lost their appeal to me. It has been a natural transition for me to eat a lot of beans and rice. Here is my easy recipe: Slow cook pinto beans in water, adding chopped up sauteed onions the last hour of the 3 hour cooking time. Make sure the beans don't burn, by adding water as needed. Serve with brown rice, plenty of pico de gallo salsa, and sliced avocado. You can make a nice batch each of the beans and rice and eat them for 3 days. I get the salsa from a local Mexican restaurant that makes it really great. No need to chop and slice. The resulting feast is yummy, a good chew, satisfying, and feels like the perfect thing to fuel us energetically. There are minimal dishes to wash. It's a win-win.

No comments: