Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Filmmaking on a Digital Still - Well Kept Secret


You don't need a camcorder to take likeable movies. I was all set to get a camcorder, when I had a chance meeting with someone who asked to see my digital still camera. He knew the camera well (Canon SD750 Digital Elph). He said I would be able to take really good movies with it and that he didn't think buying a camcorder was necessary for the level I was at. I took his advice, and sure enough, it performs really well. I have learned iphoto 9 and have spent a lot of time editing and sound editing footage from my still camera on my 13-inch macbook. The header of this post is a link to my youtube channel which has a couple of my short films. The only downside to doing this is: my camera has no line-in for an eternal mic, and when I import movies to my apple laptop, I have to bring them into iphoto and then bring them from there into imovie. So it is an extra step, and takes up extra room on my hard drive. Also, you can only film with 14:3 aspect ratio. I like the format, but don't like that you can't later mix a 14:3 with a 16.9 aspect ratio into the same movie. That said, it has been a practically no cost (other than flash memory cards) way to learn moviemaking. Now that I know I'm totally into it, the next step is to get Final Cut Express and a good camcorder and sign on for the learning curve. I think if I had jumped in initially to final cut and a camcorder, it would have been way overkill. Now that I've done this for 2 years, prices and camera quality are getting better and better. I have definitely benefitted financially from the process. But I think the best part was that I have felt no internal pressure to make movies. Add to this the benefit of people not having full perception that there is a movie being taken of them with the digital still camera provides excellent reality footage.

No comments: